Welcome to my blog, there will be nothing but movie reviews and film related content here. I try and review a wide variety of films, from old to new, and throw in film reviews from the current year as well. All comments are appreciated here, I will reply as soon as possible, and feel free to follow!

Friday, July 15, 2011

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 - 2011

Finally, after basically being the most anticipated film of my lifetime so far, I watched the Deathly Hallows Part 2. I arrived at the theater around 10:30, to what is the biggest crowd of people I have ever seen at a midnight showing, or any time of day for that matter. The lights went down in the theater, and the crowd started cheering, which was probably my biggest complaint. I'm sitting here trying to watch this intense movie, and half of the crowd seems to be treating it like a comedy. I mean when people are dying I don't think it is necessary for an entire group of people to roar with laughter. But I suppose it does not matter, I am here to review the film.


I will start off by informing any reader of this review that it is possible I am a tad biased over the film. I desperately wanted it to be amazing, and that could work as both a negative or positive when viewing a movie. I must admit though, will all the universal praise Deathly Hallows Part 2 has received, I was absolutely terrified going into the movie that it would not live up to my expectations. I mean, this is the 8th film for goodness sake! Surely one of them had to be a let down. But no, I can safely say I enjoyed every single one of these films, and what a way it finished. I only hope that there is never a decision to make a sequel, we don't want to live the Star Wars days again.


The film begins with Harry, Ron and Hermione searching for the remaining horcruxes, right where the previous film left us. Harry is bargaining with a goblin, convincing it to take him where one of the horcruxes is, in exchange for the sword of Gryffindor. But before they leave Harry speaks with an elder, who informs him that if Voldemort has the elder wand as suspected, Harry will have little to no chance at defeating him. After those words of wisdom Harry and our heroes are off to find the horcrux, and even though they initially succeed, the plan turns into quite a little adventure. They are eventually lead back to Hogwart's, where Harry believes the final horcruxes remain, and our main characters have their last adventure.


After years and years of nothing but character and story developement, Steve Kloves finally settles down and brings all of the action into the film. I do not know about anyone else seeing this film, but how powerful and intense this action was just made me thank the slower, less interesting Part 1. Without it we would be no where in the final installment. In fact, without any of the previous character driven films, just simply building the friendships on screen for our three main characters. Even the Sorcerer's Stone works as a set up for this final movie, everything previously done is hard work that goes for the last two hours and ten minutes. Harry Potter is a film series, and like all others it is one that must come to an end one day. I cannot give enough credit to Steve Kloves for his job throughout the franchise. He has worked with the story and characters so brilliantly from day one to the point that in this last film I can honestly understand why some people were crying. J.K. Rowling created a magical world for children, and Kloves has perfectly brought it to life. There is a reason some people are saying their childhood is now over.


The visuals were superb. I cannot think of a word in my small vocabulary that expresses how beautiful they were. From fire dragons to oceans to the long awaited epic battle between Harry and Voldemort. Every scene left my mouth wide open, and I know for a fact I am not the only person in the theater that felt that way. I saw the film in 3-D, and I am surprised to say it was not near as bad as I expected it to be. Though if you want my personal opinion, save the bucks. There were certainly improved scenes from your average film, but not enough to pay extra and see the movie in 3-D. Either way I am sure you will be pleased with what you see.


The acting was emotionally brilliant. It may be too early to tell, but we may have a few possible Oscar nods coming our way. Most notably Alan Rickman and Ralph Fiennes. I would actually go ahead and predict Fiennes getting a nomination, as his performance was undeniably excellent. However, I personally think Rickman was the best out of any actor in the film. We learn the most about Snape then we ever have, and Alan Rickman portrays the chracter incredibly. Unfortunately, I do not think he was in the movie enough to score the nod, but maybe I am wrong. Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, and Emma Watson were all exceptional, and each give their best performances of the series. It has been a true joy watching them grow up in this franchise, and the world will never forget them for what they did for it. As my earlier reviews state, their acting in the beginning films is shaky, but you know what? Toss it all aside, they are fantastic actors that have been supported very well through the movies.


Ladies and gentlemen, for the final film, let us all give director David Yates a round of applause. We all saw him struggle to get through the fifth film, start to get back on track in the sixth, and do well with the seventh. I for one have been rooting for him this whole time, and I am gladly hear to tell everyone that he is great in the final installment of the series. His direction is quick, keeps the pace going very well, and has a good bit of style to it. Everyone in the theater was glued to the screen the entire movie, I never once saw someone leave in the middle. And before I get carried away, let me just say look out world, David Yates might be getting a best director nomination at the Oscars, and I can assure you he will at the very least be considered. He does a fine job, no, more than that. Yates' direction is phenomenal.


Overall, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 was a wonderful way to end one of the greatest film franchises of all time. If you don't like the previous films, or are the slightest bit skeptical, don't see this film. It is for the ones who want to like it, and love the series, that's what matters. The acting was amazing, the visuals astounding, the screenplay brilliant, the direction sharp, and the movie perfect. But hey, that's just me.

Rating: 10/10

26 comments:

  1. Great review. I go on holiday. Today. *sigh* I have to wait two weeks until I see it. Spain is cool though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review! Agree with your score completely. The best Potter film of the lot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ruth! Yes, it was so amazing! All expectations were met :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha i'd sure love to be going to Spain. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Certainly! And it made all of the others better in my opinion. Just a brilliant film series. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know what you mean! It pissed me off when I heard stupid teenagers (despite me being one but I mean those aged 13-14) giggling when a certain character dies at the end in part 1. I am too a huge potter fan and I really hope this film is going to be good as critics and basically everyone is saying it is. My review will be slightly biased since I love all the films, but on different levels. None of them are bad in my eyes and its one of the best long series there is. Terrific review Matt, a wonderful marathon! Can't believe, potter is now over.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, it is so annoying. Hope to see your review after you watch the movie. Glad you enjoyed the marathon, and thanks for following it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's nothing unusual about applause just before the show starts. That's normal fandom. But laughter at death scenes? That's just odd, especially since it's the core fanbase that show up to these midnight shows. The ones that care most about the characters and everything.

    I don't think you'll have to worry about a sequel unless J.K. Rowling decides to write another novel. I haven't followed the Harry Potter films since The Sorcerer's Stone, but those "Star Wars days" was my personal Potter saga. It was great fun counting down the days until each release and getting those goosebumps once the house lights went down. The fans that showed up to the midnight shows were all very excited to be a part of it. Unfortunately, we sort of felt like how Twilight fans feel today. When we're not among the niche crowd, we deal with mockery from those that don't share our enthusiasm. I don't know how often Potter fans have to go through that but it seems less common. I would love to re-live those Star Wars events as they were the most fun in my lifetime. At least there are still the 3D re-releases to look forward to.

    Speaking of 3-D, I'm glad it was at least somewhat enjoyable for you. I had a feeling the studio would put a lot of work into it since the Deathly Hallows Part 1 3D conversion was cancelled due to lack of quality. I guess they do care sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I felt that the movie erred by overemphasizing certain scenes and leaving out crucial plot points - for example Harry's conversation with the grey lady dragged, while dumbledore's explanation of the importance of the deathly gallows was foregone completely. The dialogue was fantastic, and the film was terrific, but to give the movie a perfect score is quite a stretch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, I guess it is all a matter of opinion. I prefer movies to books so I have not read the series, needless to say any plot elements that were eliminated had no negative effect on me. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, I agree with that, even I cheered at that point. I think I just ended up in a sore theater, none of the people there seemed to be to crazy over the series. The main fans were probably in 2-D. Yeah, I am mainly concerned on down the line who gets the rights to the series when she dies. Ah well, I suppose there is no need to think so far ahead.

    As for 3-D, if you are going to the film I would still choose 2-D, but yes it did seem as if they cared. Thanks for reading Ian!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I scrolled down to see your rating since I haven't seen the film yet! surprised to see the score so high! Impressive! Makes me more interested in seeing it. (I've only seen 1 HP movie...Deathly Hallows Part 1). After I watch it, I will return to your review and read it in its entirety.

    ReplyDelete
  13. For all these factors and reason i gave up on the films after the 5th but i might see this one day your review is tempting me.

    Till then Nice review it might be a few years till that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yeah, easily my favorite film of the year and series. Thanks for checking Scarlet!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haha yay! Thanks Jesse, this one is definitely the best of the series in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The movie as a whole sucked! There were some parts that were ok. I disagree with your rating.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Did you not just comment down below and say it was a terrific film?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds exciting. I should probs check this series out in the future. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was lucky, there was only one cheer at the start, and then there was just a sort of reverent silence, haha (apart from some laughs, but they were at the appropriate places). However, they played the Breaking Dawn trailer before the film, and the squeals that occurred then were enough to make me want to get up and slap them.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I know, I had the same thing Ruth with Breaking Dawn. I hate that series..

    ReplyDelete
  21. You should Stevee, it is really incredible how all the films are good. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. matt- great review. and i love you. haha

    ReplyDelete
  23. Flynn Rider would have been a much better, more fitting name. Love you too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. When I attended the midnight premiere, people were cheering as well when the film started; I think this was due to the long wait. Then some guy yelled out "SNAPE KILLED DUMBLEDORE!" People told him to shut the fuck up, lol.....

    Anyways, you have written another brilliant review Matt. I agree on almost all the aspects in your review, I felt Rickman was the strongest of them all but like you said his part may be too short to give him a nod. Yates definitely improved since he first took the Potter reign under his belt, not sure if he's going to get a nod but who knows. When the film concluded everyone applauded, and I have seen the film another two times and on both instances, the audience applauded. Loved the atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I don't mind the cheering when the movie starts, but when people die? It's so stupid!

    Yeah, I am almost certain him or Fiennes will get a nod, but I personally hope it is Rickman, he deserves it. I think Yates will, just because I feel there isn't too much competition and we're already over half way through the year. Malick is the only person so far that has a chance at getting a best director nod. And I totally agree, the atmosphere was incredible. Thanks man!

    ReplyDelete